Chondroitin sulfate is a sulfated glycosaminoglycan (GAG) composed of a chain of alternating sugars (N-acetylgalactosamine and glucuronic acid). It is usually found attached to proteins as part of a proteoglycan. A chondroitin chain can have over 100 individual sugars, each of which can be sulfated in variable positions and quantities. Chondroitin sulfate is an important structural component of cartilage and provides much of its resistance to compression. Along with glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate has become a widely used dietary supplement for treatment of osteoarthritis.
Chondroitin supplements are intended to enhance the shock-absorbing properties of joint cartilage and block enzymes that break down cartilage. Unlike other dietary supplements used to treat arthritis, chondroitin has undergone a significant amount of clinical research to evaluate its safety and effectiveness.
Functions and benefits of Chondroitin Sulfate：
- Helps in the cure and prevention of various skeletal issues: Chondroitin Sulfate has been proven to prevent the functioning of the enzymes that digest cartilage. It has also been found out that Chondroitin Sulfate retains water in the cartilage and strengthens the collagen fibers. All of the properties of this element make it really important for the overall health of human skeleton. It is sometimes taken as a medicine to cure the bones and joints relates problems like arthritis, osteoporosis, and inflammation around joints, etc.
- Used for eye surgeries: Some amounts of Chondroitin Sulfate are injected directly into the eyes before an eye surgery. The purpose behind doing this is aimed at protecting the eyes from any possible damage during the surgery and, sometimes, reducing the pressure that might disturb the eye sight after a cataract surgery.
- Cures bladder infection: Some research provides evidence of Chondroitin Sulfate being very helpful for people with urinary tract infections. Most of the women patients of bladder and urinary tract infections have been successfully treated with a solution containing Chondroitin Sulfate along with some other medicinal solutions. the results have shown a significant improvement in their conditions and, therefore, it is solid basis of ranking this element as a reliable cure for all such infections. Moreover, if injected directly into the urinary tract, Chondroitin Sulfate has also been proved as a helpful element in the helping people without bladder control & urination issues.
- Lowers Cardiac related risks: Some limited amount of research has shown Chondroitin Sulfate as a very helpful source of lowering the risk of heart attacks and other such heart-related diseases. The intake of Chondroitin Sulfate for such a purpose must be oral and an enough amount should be taken through diet.
- Cures overall inflammation:It has been assumed, and limited amount of evidence advocates it, that the presence of enough amounts of Chondroitin Sulfate in the body helps prevent inflammation of a variety of forms. However, further studies in this field are needed to claim this with certainty.
Application of Chondroitin Sulfate:
1. Used as medicine’s raw material, it can promote the synthesis of mucopolysaccharides, advance the viscosity of synovia, and improve the metabolism of arthrodial cartilage with evident effect of relieving inflammation and easing the pain.
2. Used as a nutritive food of diabetes, it can cure enteritis instead of cortisol and has some curative effect on rheumatoid arthritis and hepatitis.
3. Used in cosmetic feed and food additive industry.