Ferulic acid is a hydroxycinnamic acid, an organic compound. It is an abundant phenolic phytochemical found in plant cell walls, covalently bonded as side chains to molecules such as arabinoxylans. As a component of lignin, ferulic acid is a precursor in the manufacture of other aromatic compounds. The name is derived from the genus Ferula, referring to the giant fennel (Ferula communis).
In skin serums, ferulic acid tends to work well with other antioxidant ingredients, especially vitamin C.
Vitamin C is a common ingredient in many anti-aging skin care products. But vitamin C isn’t very shelf-stable on its own. It degrades quickly, especially when exposed to sunlight. That’s why vitamin C serums usually come in opaque or amber-colored bottles.
Ferulic acid is thought to help stabilize vitamin C while also increasing its photoprotection. Photoprotection refers to something’s ability to minimize sun damage.
Benefits of Ferulic Acid in Skin Care Products:
- Assists in skin’s regeneration of healthy cells
- Supports collagen production
- Helps to improve the skin’s natural barrier function
- Brightens the skin, improves texture & evens uneven skin tone
- Suitable for all skin types – particularly aging and sun damaged skin
- Works well as a preventative anti-aging product
- Protects overall skin integrity by reducing the development of fine lines, spots, and wrinkles
- Helps to stabilise & enhance the efficacy of Vitamin C and E
- Fights off free radicals!
Ferulic acid is less commonly taken as an oral supplement but is believed by some to enhance athletic performance and slow the aging process. In addition, ferulic acid is sometimes used to prevent or treat certain health conditions, including: